March 02, 2006

Hand-picked extracts from Arabic poems

My younger brother never fails to amaze me with intermittent outbursts of sheer novelty and unexpected insightfulness, he saw me sinking into a momentary depression as I was driving to the airport to catch my flight back to Saudi, and he handed me over with the following extract from a poem by Al-Imam Al-Shaf'i:
ما فى المقام لذى عقل وذى أدب من راحة، فدع الأوطان واغترب
سافر تجد عوضا عمن تفارقه وانصب فإن لذيذ العيش فى النصب
أنى رأيت وقوف الماء يفسده إن سال طاب وإن لم يجر لم يطب
الأسد لولا فراق الغاب ما افترست والسهم لولا فراق القوس لم يصب
والشمس لو وقفت فى الفلك دائمة لملها الناس من عجم ومن عرب
والتبر كالترب ملقى فى أماكنه والعود فى أرضه نوع من الحطب
فـإن تـغرب هذا عز مطلبه وأن تـغرب ذاك عز كالـذهب
And as I was trying to validate the authenticity of it; I came across the following, they were on the same webpage, and it’s by a scholar named Al-Tagha'iri:
حب السلامة يثنى عزم صاحبه عن المعالى، ويغرى المرء بالكسل
فإن جنحت إليه فاتخذ نفقا فى الأرض، أو سلما فى الجو فاعتزل
يرضى الذليل بخفض العيش مسكنة والعز عند رسيم الأينق الذلل
إن العلا حدثتنى وهى صادقة فيما تحدث أن العز فى النقل
لو أن فى شرف المأوى بلوغ منى لم تبرح الشمس يوما دارة الحمل

4 comments:

Dalia said...

Wow. I stumbled on your blog when I was randomly browsing Jordanian blogs because I was feeling homesick. The sheer beauty (and relevance!) of the Shafi'i verse is amazing. That's one cool brother you have. Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

Hugo of St.Victor, a twelfth- century monk from Saxony, wrote these beautiful lines,

It's, therefore, a source of great virtue for the practiced mind to learn, bit by bit, first to change about invisible and transitory things, so that afterwards it may be able to leave them behind altogether. the man who finds his homeland sweet is still tender beginner; he to whom every soil is as strong as his native one is already strong; but he is perfect to whom the entire world is as foreign land. the tender soul has fixed his love on one spot in the world; the strong man has extended his love to all places; the perfect man has extinguished his.

Arrabi said...

Very nice verses. This is the first time I come across your blog. keep up the good work.

7amed abu-samra said...

salam "Sheikh"

Nice piece, very genuine.

Never knew Abdullah is interested with Imam Al-Shaf'i work.

I enjoy such poems myself. Can you share the webpage address with us so we can enjoy more of this art?

take care, see you soon inshallah